Drilling Systems delivers bespoke well control training lab to Western Texas College
Provider of advanced drilling simulation technology, Drilling Systems, part of market-leading provider of training, technology and simulation solutions 3t Energy Group, has delivered a bespoke well control training lab to Western Texas College (WTC) with the installation of its cutting-edge simulators.
The new lab will provide in-demand well control training for petroleum technology students, petroleum industry clients, and well-servicing employees in drilling, workover, intervention, and operational procedures. Currently, the closest sites to Snyder for Well Control training in Texas are in Odessa and San Antonio.
Following the award of a grant to the college, Drilling Systems installed state-of-the-art simulation technology in well control education at WTC’s Opportunity Center, allowing students to utilize the interactive virtual environment onsite during in-person classes taught by IADC-certified instructors.
Euan Kennedy, Director of Americas, Drilling Systems, said: “We are delighted to be working closely with Western Texas College on its new state-of-the-art simulator training facility. In high-risk sectors like oil and gas, the consequences of human error or equipment malfunction can be catastrophic, and simulators help prepare workers for the field like nothing else.
“Our simulators allow students to experience the movement, sounds, and operations of a real rig so that they can practice everyday operations and specific emergency scenarios in a risk-free environment. This means that when working in the field, they feel prepared and confident with whatever task they face.”
Students who take the course will be able to demonstrate drilling and well-control principles in real-time and improve their overall competence in safe rig operations. Upon successful completion, the students will obtain an IADC WellSharp™ certificate requiring 40 hours of training to achieve.
Dr. Barb Beebe, College President, added, “We’re excited to be able to offer in-demand well control training in Snyder that enhances the education of our Petroleum Technology students and provides continuing education opportunities for our oil and gas industry employees.”
The DrillSIM: Educational Suite designed specifically for WTC included:
- 1 X DrillSIM:Educator
- 55” interactive touchscreen
- Two 65” display screens with advanced 3d surface and 3d downhole graphics
- Individual instructor station with dual 19” monitors and fly-around joystick for scenario building and full exercise control
- 10 x DrillSIM:5 simulators giving each student access to a dedicated simulator to maximise hands-on simulator training time
- The ability to configure these simulators in pairs to create 5 x DrillSIM:10 simulator systems featuring choke and pump panels – this configuration complies with IADC accreditation requirements for Driller and Supervisor team training.
- 1 x DrillSIM:20 Mobile Drilling & Well Control Simulator
- 1 x DrillSIM Virtual Reality Headset and rig orientation software
- 1 x DrillSIM:5000 with specially designed Academic CyberChair – the global standard for advanced drilling and well control simulation.
- Software providing full 3D visualization of the rig and downhole environment
Drilling Systems is part of the 3t Energy Group portfolio of companies which includes AIS Survivex, 3t Transform and joint venture 3t EnerMech. It operates in over 70 countries with offices globally in the Middle East, US, China and UK.
Utilizing ground-breaking technology to improve safety and efficiency for businesses across the globe, 3t Energy Group’s businesses deliver world-class, industry focused solutions across its three offerings - Training, Simulators, and Software & Technology.