Unique buoyancy landing string system debuts in GOM
ExPert Landing String Solutions of Madisonville, La., is awaiting results of the first application of the industry’s only modular buoyancy system, engineered to safely land the long strings of heavy-walled casing required in most ultra-deepwater Gulf of Mexico wells.
While running casing, the patented floatation module is placed inside the riser on the landing string, thereby “reducing its weight and the hookload to a manageable level,” says General Manager Chris von Eberstein. Compounding the HSE benefits, he said, has the capacity to, in most cases, eliminate liner tie-backs that can cost upwards of $20 million to $25 million per deepwater well.
Noting longer casing strings can exceed the safe working loads of even hoisting systems of the latest generation rigs, Eberstein said, “This design can expand the operating range of third-, fourth- and fifth-generation rigs to step into field depths where previously only ultra-deepwater rigs could operate.” ExPert Landing String Solutions is a division of ExPert Riser Solutions of Port Fourchon.
- The last barrel (November 2023)
- Drilling advances (November 2023)
- What's new in exploration (November 2023)
- Technological advances increase efficiencies and flexibility (November 2023)
- X80 heavy wall pipe solutions for deep/ultra-deepwater field developments in mild sour environment (November 2023)
- FluiDeep: An innovative subsea storage and injection solution for chemicals management (November 2023)
- Applying ultra-deep LWD resistivity technology successfully in a SAGD operation (May 2019)
- Adoption of wireless intelligent completions advances (May 2019)
- Majors double down as takeaway crunch eases (April 2019)
- What’s new in well logging and formation evaluation (April 2019)
- Qualification of a 20,000-psi subsea BOP: A collaborative approach (February 2019)
- ConocoPhillips’ Greg Leveille sees rapid trajectory of technical advancement continuing (February 2019)